Tuesday 19 March 2013

Hello

This is just a simple intro to what I hope will be a series of occasional posts about my experience of nocturnal home haemodialysis. I have been receiving haemodialysis (HD) for nine years now and started on home HD four years ago. I live in a suburb of the north west of the city of Brisbane, Australia and am supported by the HIDS unit of the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital.

As intros go this is decidedly boring. It's the weather. After a week of glorious sunshine cold, heavy squally showers have come belting across my house and my mood. The only people not upset by this miserable and unwelcome weather are the scrub turkeys, one of which is browsing in the garden outside my window as I type.The purpose of these birds is a mystery. They are less use than a wi-fi sausage. Then again, I suppose humans are pretty pointless too.

Before I go I will tell you this: I do not have a name for my HD machine. In all the HD centres I've been to each machine is named. The names are witty or meaningful or deliberately cryptic. Mine's just "the machine" or after a bad run "that bloody machine". I would not want to share a bedroom with a device called "Miss Muffet" or "Mephistopheles". There's only room for one named thing in my room, that's me.

And that's all for now. Til next time. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment